26 January 2018

In Which I Sell A Design. As In, Get Paid For It.

3517A.
So, some time ago, during the last year of this time of extreme dexterity, I thought that the chances of being Presidented over by one less-than-impressive Republican vs another less-than-impressive Republican meant that maybe D.F. Jones had the right idea all along, and I created a graphic.

This graphic:


Doesn't it just kind of speak to ya?

Last week, I was contacted by a representative of an organization in Seattle called Living Computers: Museum + Labs. They're doing a showing of Colossus: The Forbin Project for First Thursday and they wanted to do a limited run of stickers as giveaways to people who came. And after they checked all the stuffs to make sure everything was on the level, we came to an agreement.

There is money resting in my PayPal wallet as a payment for the use of the design for the sticker giveaway. They are also looking into using it for other things, and I will keep the errant reader posted on that.

But it's nice not only to get paid for something, but to interact with a group that understands that, if you want to use something, the first thing you do is ask. From what I'm hearing out there, that's getting rarer and rarer. So these are indeed sterling people.

If you go see Colossus at the museum in SoDo you might not meet me, but you'll meet my work. It'll be fashionable, too. Who knows where those stickers will show up?

Yeah. I'm happy here. Thanks, Living Computers!  

6 comments:

CountZeroOr said...

When I do my Fanzine, I get permission before using anyones art with the exception of reviews, in which case I'm generally using official art from that work (screen grabs or promotional materials) for that review - at which point the material falls under fair use (and also requiring the sign-off of a creator of a work on criticism of a work falls into a conflict of interest).

I've made the error of using fanart in a free work in the past without asking consent, but I've tried to minimize that going forward - which is part of the reason why my latest Fanzine hasn't come out - I'm trying to find some specific (non-risque) fanart to use on the cover, and none of the artists I've contacted for reprint permissions have responded to my requests.

ed waldo (Hart Williams) said...

Right on.

Samuel John Klein said...

Hart: Thanks. Your advice helped.

Samuel John Klein said...

Alexander: I'm sure that's a sin I've committed a couple of times in my past online. Time and maturity have largely cured me of it. I may make a misstep very occasionally, but that's more a function of some remaining ignorance than it is any thought that 'chee, I'll use this without asking, they'll understand'.

In the interim I've built up a sizeable stock of digital photos (I don't have to ask me for permssion) and have worked up my artistic talent to the point that if I have to draw it myself, I try. Being able to source my own illustrations means there's a lot less pain sometimes.

That said, sometimes you can't avoid having to ask the creator, and if they answer right away and say 'no', well, that's one thing, but if they never answer, that's aggravating and agonzing!

Dasinfogod said...

I don't do bumper stickers, but I'd gladly put this one on my car! If stickers ever become available (outside of the Seattle area), please let me know...

Samuel John Klein said...

I doubt that that'll happen, unfortunately. But I appreciate your encouragement, thanks very much.